Last Updated on: 17th September 2023, 11:02 pm
With everything that’s going on in the world, most of us are staying at home. There’s always the option of going to the salon to get your hair done, but most people don’t want to take that risk just to have a makeover.
Thankfully, there are DIY options for the services we’d usually get at a salon, and we can all do it in the comfort and safety of our own homes.
If you’re just trying to experiment with changing the color of your natural hair, or if you’re just looking for a quick, and natural fix to hide your gray hairs, instead of opting for traditional hair dyes that have harsh chemicals and synthetic ingredients — you can just go to your kitchen to find some of the ingredients you need and you can begin.
Here are a few things you can use for herbal hair coloring:
1) Lemon Juice as an Organic Hair Dye for a Lighter Hair Color
If you’re looking to get some highlights, or if you’re thinking of lightening your naturally dark hair, lemon juice is the way to go.
Unlike bleach, lemon juice works by gradually stripping the hair of its pigment rather than all at once. This allows the hair to adjust to the changes, lessening the chances of your hair becoming dry and brittle in between procedures. At the same time, you won’t have trouble with accidentally dyeing your hair a shade lighter than you’ve intended. Since it will lighten the hair over a period of time, you’ll have enough leeway to make some tweaks and changes.
Another great thing about lemon juice is that it will change your permanent hair color, and the only way you can change it up would be to either cut off your hair or have it dyed with another color.
Depending on the natural shade of your hair, you might need to do this a few times before you achieve your desired results.
Here’s a quick guide on how to dye your hair with lemon juice:
- Make sure your hair is wet. It will make the application a lot easier.
- Spread the lemon juice evenly onto your hair. You can do this by filling up a spray bottle with cold lemon juice and just liberally spraying it all over your hair. You can also use a squirt bottle and spread it evenly that way, starting with your forehead and working backward. Make sure you don’t get any on your eyes and have a washcloth ready for wiping up any drips. You can also use a comb to make sure that it’s spread thoroughly onto your hair.
- Leave it on for at least an hour and let your hair air dry under the sun. Make sure to use sunscreen if you’re prone to sunburn.
- Rinse it out with a nourishing conditioner.
2) Coffee as a Natural Hair Dye to Create Darker Shades
Did you know that you can use coffee to dye your hair with dark shades? This is especially welcome for people whose natural hair colors are on the lighter side, and also for people who want to cover up their gray hair. Unlike traditional dyes, using coffee as a natural hair dye prevents your hair from drying out, making it soft and shiny. It can even stimulate new hair growth by strengthening the hair shaft and giving a boost to the hair root structure.
Using coffee as a hair dye would only offer a semi-permanent hair color change, so keep that in mind when using it.
Here’s a quick guide on how to dye your hair with coffee:
- Brew some dark roast or espresso coffee and let it cool until it’s no longer hot to the touch. The darker the roast and the stronger the brew, the darker the shade of your hair will be.
- Mix the brew with some conditioner and up to three tablespoons of coffee grounds for a rich, dark mixture. The conditioner will make it easier to apply as well as add extra moisture to your hair.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and towel dry. Drape a towel around your shoulders to prevent the coffee from staining your skin.
- Apply your DIY hair dye from the area above your scalp to prevent it from staining. Even though the stains can be washed out after a while, it’s still best to try and prevent them.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes to an hour. You can also use a shower cap if you want to.
- Rinse it out and enjoy! You can also repeat the process if you’d like to darken your hair further.
Alternatively, there are many herbal shampoo products that achieve the same — if not better effect by nourishing your hair with important nutrients.